26 March 2009

Charmaine Seabrook joins the BDC!

Charmaine Seabrook has joined the staff of the Beaufort District Collection. Hurray!

The County's Hiring Freeze allows current employees to transfer between departments if the departments can agree that a transfer is in the best interests of all parties.

As you may have read in the newspaper, the financial crisis has seriously hampered the real estate market, which has in turn lessened the work load of the Beaufort County Register of Deeds Office. On the other hand, the Beaufort County Library has experienced a 25% increase of customers. When my former Preservation Associate relocated, the BDC took a 50% reduction in personnel. (It has been a very tough 2 months for me since Amber left). The Division heads, the department heads, and Charmaine and I agreed that it would be a very good thing for Charmaine to use her considerable skills in the Library's "Forever Collection." Thus, Charmaine has transferred from the Beaufort County Register of Deeds office to the Library effective March 23rd. 2nd Hurray!

Most of Charmaine's time over the course of the next several months will be spent learning about preservation of photographic archives as we work the SC SHRAB re-grant for the Lucille Hasell Culp Collection, and helping me ready the BDC for the long awaited relocation to the 2nd floor of the Library facility at 311 Scott Street. Perhaps her biggest challenge will be getting used to working with me and how I do what I do and why I do what it is we do, etc. -- God help her!

I look forward having her working with me as we strive to be the best local history and special reference collection in the Southeastern United States. When you visit, be sure to say hello.

No comments: