14 August 2013
Hunting Island Lighthouse
Hunting Island Lighthouse, Beaufort, SC (postcard) c1890
A 95 foot tower was completed in 1859 to replace a lightship. Destroyed by Confederate troops in 1862, another light was not built until 1875 about one miles inland due to erosion.
Learn more about the structure and its past uses on the Hunting Island State Park Lighthouse website at http://www.huntingisland.com/light.htm.
Check out A Light on Treacherous Waters:The Story of the Hunting Island, South Carolina, Light Station, an award-winning documentary written and produced by Suzanne Larsen, in collaboration with Paul Keyserling, the Friends of Hunting Island Lighthouse, and WJWJ, c2001. DVDs are available in the Local History sections (Call # 975.799 LIG)
Visit the BDC Research Room 10 am to 5 pm, Mondays through Fridays to see some of the many items that we hold in trust for the community.