01 January 2024

January 2024 Overview

Happy Jubilee Day ... and so another year begins. May we all be happy, healthy, and prosperous in 2024 - in spite of the upcoming Presidential election cycle.  

The BDC hits the ground running in 2024.  We expect a new employee on January 8th - but I am not one to count my chickens before they hatch. Once the person is duly employed, I will share more information with you. 

Because I've decided to stay a bit longer toiling away in the Research Room, I've also decided to continue the "Uniquely BDC" Materials Monday series until further notice. I could probably run it another 4 to 5 years easy-peasy if I were so inclined (but I am not so inclined to work that long). As before, though, I won't make Materials Monday or Black History Note Wednesday posts when the Library is closed or when I am on leave.  

We offer you three opportunities to attend a local history program this month: 

Thursday, January 18, 2023 -- Historically Speaking 5.3 "Tom Austin, Lazarus, and the Resurrection of Sea Island Cotton from Extinction" with Tom Austin. First Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall, 1201 North Street, 11 AM.  First come; first seated. Door opens 30 minutes ahead of the program start time. 

Wednesday, January 24, 2024 -- "Where Have All the Shrimp Boats Gone" Author Book Talk with Woody Collins. BDC@ Bluffton Branch Library, 120 Palmetto Way, 1 PM. First come; first seated. Door opens 30 minutes ahead of the program start time.

Wednesday, January 31, 2024 -- "Yamasee Homelands" with Hannah Hoover.  BDC@ Beaufort Branch Library, 311 Scott Street, 2 PM. First come; first seated. Door opens 30 minutes ahead of the program start time.

The Library system is closed today, Monday, January 1, 2024. It will also be closed on Monday, January 15, 2024 in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. 

I hope to soon be able to make a public announcement re: our latest project with the Lowcountry Digital Library.  

No comments: