01 May 2024

What to Expect in May 2024

The month of May in the BDC should be more mellow than April.

We're in the midst of Preservation Week 2024, a topic near and dear to my heart - and to my work. Don't forget to read Cassi's Connections blog post about her display.

We are co-hosting Nancy Thode and Stacey Ahner on Friday, May 3rd. Their mother, Ann Head, is being inducted into the South Carolina Academy of Writers that weekend. Check for any remaining seats.

Jalen will be switching the BDC display case to "Shipwrecks" and underwater archaeology on or about May 6 - 9.

By tradition, the first full week in May is National Postcard Week which makes it May 5 - 11 this year. My personal preference for taking care of postcards has not changed so review what I wrote in this blog on May 3, 2021 and perhaps enjoy the digital Arnsberger Collection. We have other postcard collections but you'll have to come to see those in the Research Room. If you would like to see the other postcard collections, I strongly suggest that you make an appointment first: bdc@bcgov.net; 843-255-6468.

On May 10th, some of my program partners and I will begin planning for the September 2024 - May 2025 season.

On May 16th, the Beaufort County Historical Society, Hilton Head Chapter, Archaeological Society of South Carolina and the BDC host archaeologist Jim Spirek about what's in and under Port Royal Sound.

The Library will be closed on Monday, May 27th in honor of Memorial Day.


I'm taking a few days off this month but Jalen and Cassi will be here to assist in-room customers while I am away.

No comments: