01 July 2011

Historic Apps for Smartphones

While I know that this is a little off-topic, I hope that you will cut me a bit of slack. I will make a direct work related application of the information before the end of this entry.

The Civil War Trust is commemorating the 148th anniversary of the epic Battle of Gettysburg battle by offering their "Gettysburg App" through the iTune store for free, July 1 - July 3.

On July 4th, the deal disappears and you'll have to pay full price for this Battle app.

I think battle apps are a neat idea (and one becoming ever more common). I'm going to test the Civil War Trust's "Fredericksburg Battle app" during a visit to the battlefield during an upcoming visit to see my son and daughter-in-law who are now stationed at Norfolk.

It's coincidental that the County Administrator happens to have assigned a small group of employees from several departments with the task of determining how to make our own local historical and cultural sites better known and appreciated by residents and our visitors without causing degradation to the sites. Right now, we're in the information gathering stage of the project.

If my personal experience using the "Fredericksburg app" on my privately owned iPod Touch works out ...

I'd like to hear how the "Gettysburg app" worked out for you should you choose to download it while it's free and later use it while visiting that Pennsylvania battlefield. I'm particularly interested in what worked well and what didn't work so well with the Gettysburg app. We will make good use of the insight you can provide into the practical application of the technology to your overall experience of an historical site.

No comments: