I've always preferred the behind-the-scenes activities and tasks necessary to run a solid special library and archives unit over the interpersonal "stuff." In fact, local history program days or outreach events wiped me out. Nevertheless, I have interacted with 10,000s of customers, in person or remotely. One of my professional hallmarks became a skillful crafting of a very thorough response to a reference query.
I loved writing for the BDC's 2 blogs in order to share the wonders of what's in this very special room. I have written thousands of social media posts about local people, places, events and historical themes here in Connections and on the BDCBCL : Links, Lists and Finding Aids blog. I have sometimes enjoyed maintaining the BDC's Facebook page. (During the clean-up I discovered a few key items that Cassi will probably use on the BDC's Facebook page at an appropriate time. Be on the look-out for buzzards!)
There's no thrill like the thrill that a librarian/archivist gets on a good research hunt - said hunt sometimes resulting in the creation of a new vertical file and/or a BDC sponsored presentation. Indeed, as I was cleaning out my desk and files, I found enough material to create over 25 new vertical files with topics ranging from murder to fires to individuals to local organizations over the last month.
I have loved working with Cassi, Sydney and Valerie Lesesne on multiple projects. We have gotten so very much done with 3 fulltime staff and our auxiliary member this past year. I love to the moon and back the BDC's Beloved Docent cadre who have been instrumental in the various digital collections, transcriptions, preservation processes, indexing, etc. The very fact that most of them have been with me for a decade or more must say something about the BDC's working environment because they really don't get paid to be here.
I am grateful to all who helped me through the years including the indomitable members of the Clover Club and the steadfast members of the Beaufort County Historical Society. I am particularly grateful to all those unknowns who donated their hard-earned dollars to make the relocation of the Research Room to the 2nd floor, 2001-2010 happen. There is simply no way that the depth and range of the materials and services could occur through the BDC today had the relocation not happened. I am grateful for the support of former Library Director Wlodek Zaryczny for seeing the project through. I am just sorry that Hillary Barnwell did not live to see the BDC's Grand Re-opening on 29 September 2010. But geez, Louise, it took way too long: 9 years and 16 days, folks. It took 9 years and 16 days to move the BDC between floors in this building.
My successor should probably figure out how to go "up" and "out" in the next 3 to 5 years - so that s/he can have the appropriate space for an ever-growing collection.
Here are a few high points in my career that will continue to have consequences for BDC customers:
- Being part of the pilot project for the inclusion of public library materials into the South Carolina Digital Library. We started with the phosphate mining photographs donated - literally off the street by a walk-in customer in 2007. We have continued our long and successful association with its Lowcountry Digital Library for 2 decades. Fingers crossed that you'll see some new collections uploaded there before the end of 2026.
- Convincing Technical Services to catalog more than just book materials. Thanks go to Amber Shorthouse for her initiative that spurred things forward on that front by beginning to catalog the vertical files without my knowledge. As all employees come to understand, sometimes it is simply better to say "Sorry" than ask for permission. Through the years, the maps, charts, illustrated prints and posters have followed suit. Customers will find the books, DVDs, vertical files, microfilm, maps, charts, illustrated prints and posters in the BDC are listed in the SCLENDS catalog.
- It looks like my advocacy of 20+ years will pay off soon. It appears that the digitization of the Palmetto Post newspaper will proceed at long last with the SC Newspapers project. So stay tuned ...
The roughest day of my career was when former Library Director Ray McBride called me to say that he had no options other than to re-allocate the BDC's then open full-time assistant position to the library materials courier position during the early days of the COVID shutdown. I was at home - it was COVID after all - and I cried. The only factor stopping me from quitting that day was the County's health insurance plan. It took current Library Director Amanda Brewer Dickman several long dark years (for me) to get the Preservation Associate position returned - and then she went a step further and got the BDC a full-time Library Assistant for the public area : 3 full-time staff in the BDC - Heaven on earth! Thank you, Amanda.
I will say that it has mostly been a pleasure dealing with my Library colleagues, folks connected to local cultural heritage organizations, the 10,000s of local, national and international researchers and coordinating 100s of local history programs through the years. The reason for the "mostly"? Sometimes colleagues, customers, partners, speakers, red tape and hurricane evacuations just made good service delivery harder than it had to be.
I am content that I did what I could with what I had where I was. I am proud of what I have accomplished in my many years of service. As I told the Beaufort County Council on Monday night, "I've had a good run - and now I am done." Sydney and Cassi will take it from here. Just be aware that with my exit, this means that the BDC will again be short-staffed for a while so please be patient with them. I expect that Library Administration will be announcing the lucky person who shall succeed me as the head of the BDC.
A word of caution to him/her: Just remember that a job never will love you back so try to keep a good life/work balance. Work hard and steadily. There will never be a slow time in a special collections / archives unit - only brief periods of time when your focus can shift temporarily to a different particular task or project.
To all you local history nerds : May life bring you everything you need and some of what you want. I thank you for your support.
This is Grace Cordial, signing off as the Senior Librarian (and Archivist) in charge of the BDC. (And I made it to retirement without having to do a hurricane recovery salvage project. YES!)
No comments:
Post a Comment